- Yield: 3
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1h 20 min
Roast beef with mushroom sauce
I always thought that cooking beef is a massive undertaking, takes too long, too much work and it's completely unnecessary. But when we decided to go for SCD diet, I told myself that I will give it a shot anyway. Despite the cooking time being slightly longer, I had a lot of fun and my opinion has changed.
Stewing the meat is simple and on the contrary, I save some time by putting the meat in an oven and while basting the meat from time to time as it cooks, I can take five. I have time to read and I like that. The longer the meat is stewed the better. Not only the meat gets softer but it also absorbs the smell of herbs and spices.
- Ingredients for the roasting:
- beef - neck roast 600g
- smoked bacon - 50 g
- root vegetables - 200 g
- tomatoes - 2 (250 g)
- bouquet garni - sage, thyme, bay leaf
- pepper - 6 pellets
- beef broth - 450 ml
- butter - 25 g
- Ingredients for the sauce:
- onion - 2
- parsley - bundle
- mushrooms - 350 g, fresh, mix
- butter - 25 g
- wine - 150 ml
- broth - 300 ml
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time on pan: 12 minutes
Cooking time in the oven: 80 - 90 minutes / 180°C
Result: 3 portions
1. Wash the meat, dry it up and pierce with strips of bacon. Wash the vegetables and cut with tomatoes into larger pieces.
2. Melt 25 g of butter on a pan, cook the meat on a fierce fire from all sides, then lower the heat to 4 degrees and cook for 5 more minutes.
3. Put the meat away and increase the heat to the max, cook the vegetables and tomatoes for about 1 minute. Since I had a little bacon left, I threw it in with the vegetables.
4. Preheat the oven with cooking bowl.
5. I move the vegetable mix from the pan to the warmed up bowl, add salt, meat, bouquet garni (bundle of herbs tied with small rope) - thyme, bay leaf, parsley, sage, pellets of pepper, and baste with broth.
6. Stew the meat under the lid the whole time and baste with the juice from meat. During the cooking I add beef broth twice and if needed, add salt. 10 minutes before finishing I add 2 table spoons of honey to the vegetable mix because of winter tomatoes. I cook in combined microwave oven with the grill and hot air functions.
7. I start making the mushroom sauce about 20 minutes before finishing. Melt the butter on which I sear the onion, add a spoon of honey and let caramelize for about 2 minutes, add parsley and mix in the mushrooms - champignon white and brown, tree oyster. Sear for about 3 minutes and then add wine, the rest of the broth and cook until it gets dense.
8. Remove the roast from the bowl and mix the juice with vegetables with the mushroom sauce. If you don't want the vegetables in the sauce like me, it's OK to filter the juice through a screen.
And if someone is interested in how I boil down, I always use vegetables, mostly onions and tomatoes. I also blended into the sauce some of the vegetables that was cooked in the broth with the beef ribs. I'm not just gonna throw them away am I?
All rights reserved. No pictures, text, or part of the text can be copied or commercially used without explicit written permission from the administrators of Marky SCD recipes